Sunday 20 March 2011

What is a collective?

What is a collective? What does it mean to be a collective?
What constitutes it?
In contemporary western society, how possible is it to create a collective?
Why a collective and not some other model of collaboration?
The challenge that we created for ourselves, had in some way crept up upon us without even having realized it.
In the sense that we had not really asked ourselves the questions that are stated above.
There are two short texts that I wanted to write reflecting on the idea of the collective but in many ways I think this might be the right moment for this one.
Our collective was created without even realizing it, perhaps the most ideal and sincere way of creation.
Perhaps it was over the countless conversations between three of the members about the idea of creating a club where art could be discussed in a more comfortable environment. It may have been from this and the mutual affection that had grown between us, did the idea that we would like to create something more permanent, something beyond just a project occur. This is what made this project more than 'just' a project.
As a collective we tried to do almost everything possible together, which meant from spending time together in class, coffee breaks, lunches and gallery openings in the evening, which almost always finished off with a pint and heading home together. It wouldnt be presumptious to say that this project would probably not be as successful if we had not spent all this time together, experiencing things together and reflecting on how we experienced the same moments in different ways.


I hope that what we have to show will reflect that, because it was more of an experience than I thought we could ever have. I am sure that for those that will look hard enough it will and those who choose to skim the surface, will always be the ones that miss out.
Rarely does this happen. As far as I have seen most times when people try to work together, many things happen that end up ruining the experience and in the end the whole work itself. This time I think we managed to get through many different obstacles and have turned them around to our advantage.
I guess if i had to answer the question of why we are a collective and not some other model of collaborative work, my answer would be because regardless of all that had happened, what was always everyone's objective was working for the good of everyone and not for individual good. I guess that is what separated us from other models and I guess that is why we did not even think to question ourselves that, because it was so natural to us. I feel that I am very lucky and privileged to have an experience like this one, that I think rarely occurs in any form in contemporary society.
When I wonder why this is such a rare occurance, I guess the only answer I can come up with is that we have been taught to misunderstand the meaning of 'putting oneself first '. Luckily I have the pleasure of working people that understand this the way it is meant to be understood.


Manca Bajec



No comments:

Post a Comment